Monday, February 14, 2011

"View from the Instituto (San Miguel de Allende)"


After sketching the composition, I was very anxious about establishing the complicated architectural elements in the area of my main subject, the town. So I began by laying in the "Parroquia", the cathedral on the left side of the compositon, and surrounding buildings. Then from there I ventured into other areas of the painting. This is when I knew that the other buildings on the right side of this view would be painted with less detail so that the central part of town where the church is would remain the main focus of interest and painted with more contrast and definition. Wanting to make sure that the glowing sky wouldn't get lost along the way, I painted the pink along the horizon line.
Oil on Cradled Wood Panel
36" X 12"

No comments:

Post a Comment